Oh Pinterest… how I simultaneously love and loathe thee.
Love because I’ve found countless inspirations for my baking (among other things). Loathe because I can’t believe the countless hours I’ve wasted on that damn website. But in all honesty, should I even say it’s a waste?
Not with THIS pin that I found only a week ago, and have since made twice. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough frosting. Dear lord, how it’s even made it out of the mixing bowl and onto the cupcake without first being completely devoured by my face is beyond me. It tastes pretty much exactly like raw, gooey, delicious cookie dough, only it’s very safe to eat as there are no raw eggs!
Because I don’t like anything that’s overly sweet, I made quite a few adjustments to the recipe. But feel free to try both versions! I can guarantee you will be making this more than once… this week.
Cookie Dough Cream Cheese Frosting
(adapted from Chef in Training)
-8 oz. cream cheese, softened
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 packet Dream Whip
-2 tbsp milk
-1 cup AP flour
-2 cups powdered sugar
-2/3 cup chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl or bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter.
2. Add brown sugar, vanilla, and Dream Whip and beat evenly together.
3. Add the milk, flour and powdered sugar (I like to add the flour and powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix before adding another 1/2 cup, just so it doesn’t go flying EVERYWHERE). If you’d like to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, add a little more milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. I piped it the first time and I think ended up with 4-5 tbsp milk total. Tonight I just plopped it on top of the cupcakes with a cookie dough scoop (derp) and personally, I think it looks better when you just scoop it on like it’s actually cookie dough.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Devour (cupcakes not necessary).